22 May Billboard Advertising Effectiveness
We know through statistics that billboard advertising effectiveness improves year on year whilst other advertising formats like print readership drops rapidly every year. Furthermore, the costs to advertise stays the same for less, So, the best place to put your marketing budget is into billboards.
Billboards can reach a large, relevant audience. They can put your message and brand in front of millions of potential customers on a daily basis.
Lets take a more detailed look at the effectiveness of billboard advertising.
Creating An Effective Billboard Advertising Campaign
What exactly is an effective billboard? Creating a strategic and engaging advertisement is the key to making sure your remembered even after being viewed once. Billboard adverts that contain too much text and content will overwhelm the consumer as they drive by. When creating a billboard ad, stick to a maximum of three colours and no more than 10 words. This will gain the attention of the passer by and communicate clearly with the desired audience.
Billboards Work When Done Right
Billboards are great marketing tools when used in the right way. Strategic planning involves researching the right locations that would best engage with your target audience. Unlike online ads viewed on a phone or computer, billboards are unavoidable.
Furthermore, you should consider the aspects of the advertisement and what is significant enough to draw the attention of your audience. Compared to most forms of advertising, billboards can cost a lot cheaper and the results can outweigh the initial investment if done right.
Billboard Effectiveness Through Repetition And Exposure
Brand awareness is achieved through repetition and exposure. While a tried and tested marketing strategy, may help you achieving brand awareness, doing so can be expensive.
However, billboard advertising is very cost effective and the only form of marketing where the advertiser has full control of the space. Adverts will gain constant exposure – no other media allows your message to be displayed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It’s is a powerful marketing tool.
How Can You Monitor Billboard Advertising Effectiveness?
There are certain elements that can be introduced to you advert that will allow you to monitor the effectiveness of a billboard advertising campaign. Here are a few examples:-
1. URL/ landing page tracking – Setting up a dedicated landing page to your website that only appears within your billboard advert.
2. Dedicated phone number – Secondly, incorporate a dedicated telephone number that piggy backs your number within your creative that only appears on you billboard advert.
3. Promo codes – You can look at incorporating an offer within your creative that only appears on you billboard advert (eg) “Get 25% off with promo code Bill1”
4. QR codes – Introducing a QR (Quick response) code within your ad on a high street billboard, where pedestrians can take a quick scan as they walk by.
5. Tracking through social media – Create a dedicated # Hashtag and monitor how many people talk about your campaign and product
6. Visitors to your showroom – A really easy one, ask them how they heard of you and where did they see you.
7. Keyword tracking – Monitor how your visitors are coming to the site, as they might not have had time to take down a code. (eg) car dealer billboard in Poole
Finally, Is this form of advertising good for my business?
The short answer is that it depends upon your marketing budget and what you want to achieve. If your business is looking to increase brand awareness and sales, then billboard advertising is the way forward.
Its also a great way at reaching a massive audience in a cost effective way.
If you do decide to take the leap and try out billboard ads, get in touch with us at Amplify Outdoor. We’d love to talk through design ideas and help you find the best locations for your business.